Change font size   Print view

I Can Make My OWN Songs Loud, Why Do I Need Mastering??

(1~10 iShares). Here mastering engineers can discuss mastering related topics. Moderated by Chris Chetland and Edward Vinatea.

Moderator: Moderator

I Can Make My OWN Songs Loud, Why Do I Need Mastering??

Postby Montgomery » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:14 am

ok this is probably something that has been said a million times: dont master yourself! But i mix like a pro and once i send it to my finalizer the mix loud and great. So why on earth do i need mastering you guys??

Just being honestly curious.
JM.
anonymous users

Montgomery
iShares on hand: Locked

Re: I Can Make My OWN Songs Loud, Why Do I Need Mastering??

Postby EV-Sonic-Lab » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Jim. Of course you can make your own mixes loud but keep in mind that if you're releasing your song and expect thousands of downloads, you'll be making a serious mistake since most likely you don't have the expertise to master a song (and neither the room or tools, etc) like an experienced mastering engineer to present a song at its best light.

That said, inserting a peak limiter into the 2 buss is not mastering.
EV-Sonic-Lab
Studio Owner
Studio Owner
Has Liked: 1 post
Liked in: 0 post
iShares on hand: 60.99
Transfer iShares

Post Relevance: 

Re: I Can Make My OWN Songs Loud, Why Do I Need Mastering??

Postby Crazy-Daisy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 pm

Well said. I think to build on that it should be pointed out that most pro mastering engineers - not mixing engineers who are semi-handy at mastering, but actual mastering engineers - are doing a lot more for you than just making the mix louder. Because, as has been pointed out, simply cranking up a brick wall limiter on the master output is not all that mastering is about. Real mastering also includes attention to EQ, taming peaks and buffing up missing tones and enhancing harmonics and low and high end. This requires an understanding of the psychoacoustic effect - the way our ears are tuned to different frequencies at different volume levels. Also, your mastering engineer will attend to stereo imaging and apply various adjustments that might help open up or balance out the soundstage in your mix. And, the mastering engineer will adjust any intro/outro fades to be appropriate at high volume. And finally, there's more to the volume level than just "loudness". There's also dynamic range, which is specific to different genres and even different styles of sound within a particular genre. It IS rocket science in a way. And just like rocket science it can be learned through years of hard work.
Or you can just turn up the volume and call it good enough. Which perhaps it is. I can't say since I haven't heard your tracks.
Details on the steps our studio takes in its mastering process at - https://www.crazymastering.com/masterin ... ation.html
Crazy-Daisy
Has Liked: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
iShares on hand: 63.35
Transfer iShares

Post Relevance: 

Return to Mastering Forum